Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Hilly Hundred rocks!
I rode a little over 50 miles in the Hilly Hundred on Saturday, Oct. 18 along with over 5,000 of my best riding buddies. It was awesome. This was the 41st annual Hilly Hundred and the first time I have ridden in it.
I met people that come from all over the world and I asked as many of them as possible why the came here for this. Most of the responses were:
1. "I ride in organized rides all year long and this is the best one."
2. "The countryside, the terrain and the route are beautiful and challenging."
3. "The weather is always ideal and the Bloomington area is a great place to visit."
4. "This is the most organized and well-supported ride I have ever been on."
5. "I've been riding in it for 20 years, I get to ride with 5,000 of the nicest people I have ever met and many of them have become life-long dear friends (a man from SC said this to me).
The ride is always on a Saturday and Sunday (registration is Friday night) in October. Each day's route is about 50 miles and it takes you through the rolling Monroe County countryside around Bloomington. Lots and lots of hills but nothing that will kill you. It is a very laid back ride. You can start any time between 8 AM and 12 noon and the organizers really just want everyone finished with the day's ride by about 4:00 or 5:00 PM in the day.
Riders camp out or stay in area hotels, there is evening entertainment and a huge bike swap meet type of event. It really is a lot of fun for hardcore riders, families or anyone that wants to take part.
The 2009 Hilly Hundred is scheduled for Oct. 23-25 and you can find more info at www.hillyhundred.org. It's a great time so I urge you to try it.