Friday, August 8, 2014
Staff Picks: Tenderloin Sandwiches
Categories: Wine & Culinary
The Monroe County Fair just ended the 2014 run, and the state fair is still going on this week, so it seems timely to talk about one of Indiana's most famous fair foods: the pork tenderloin sandwich.
It's a beaten, breaded, fried circle of goodness, sometimes bigger than a dinner plate, sometimes thick and juicy like a steak. You can always find good ones at the Monroe County fair (the little stand between the animal barns and the fairway has the best- as you can see from the photo of me chowing down on one) but you can also get these glorious gut busters year-round at a number of fine establishments. So I asked our staff: where do you pig out on pork tenderloins?
• Mike - The Irish Lion tenderloin is a little different but very good. And the one at the Convenient Mart is good; they have the best convenience store food in town.
• Ryan - Upland Brewing Company has a delicious seitan tenderloin sandwich! That's my (only) choice. (Ryan is our resident vegan, which gives us a good perspective for all the herbivores out there. For those who don't know what seitan is, here's a link to a definition.)
• Teal - The Irish Lion! There's something about the sauce they put on it that's so good. I knew their Irish food was good, but was surprised that the all-American tenderloin was so tasty!
• Julie - I love me a fried tenderloin, but if we're talking pork tenderloin in general, I have to go with the shaved pork loin sandwich at Sweetgrass. The pork is juicy, and it's covered in bacon, ranch, cheese and southern style slaw. Now I'm hungry.
• Laura - The Office Lounge has a great tenderloin - the breading isn't too heavy-and I get it with mayo, pickles, onion and their old-school crinkle cut French fries!
• Erin - I haven't ever eaten a tenderloin in Bloomington (shocking!) but I've heard Yogi's has a good one.
So there you have it-several places to enjoy a good old tenderloin sandwich. I would say there are probably a dozen more that we didn't list. So tell us, who has the best tenderloin sandwich?