Tuesday, February 4, 2014
Valentine's Day in B-town, 2014
Need a few ideas to sweep your sweetie off his or her feet this year? We've got you covered. Here's a quick rundown of special offers and other options for celebrating the day of love in Bloomington. Why stop at one day, though - we recommend celebrating the entire weekend!
A number of Bloomington restaurants will be featuring special Valentine's Day pricing and menus. Here are the ones we know about:
- The Scholars Inn will be featuring a four course menu on Feb. 14 with several options available, at $65 per person, not including tax, gratuity or beverages. Please call 812-332-1892 for reservations.
- The Irish Lion will host a Valentine's Day Wine Dinner from 4-10 pm on both Feb. 14 and 15. A special fixed price menu with wine pairings will be available at $50 per person, not including tax and gratuity. Please call 812-336-9076 for reservations.
- Topo's 403 will offer a three-course fixed price menu on Feb. 14 that includes a first course of Kumomoto oysters. Price is $60 per person and seatings will be at 5:30, 7:30 and 9:30 pm. Call 812-676-8676 for reservations.
- Restaurant Tallent will feature a special three-course menu on Feb. 14 with options that include goat cheese ravioli, scallops and tiramisu. Pricing is $55 per person. Call 812-330-9801 to reserve your table.
- Scenic View Restaurant will offer a five-course dinner on Feb. 14, featuring shrimp asparagus bisque, an avocado cobb salad, choice of vegetarian, meat or fish entree and more. Cost will be $65 per person, plus tax. There will be three seatings. Call 812-837-9496 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for reservations.
- Bobby's Colorado Steakhouse will feature a choice of seven special Valentine's Day meal choices at the cost of two for $35.95, including a special dessert. Other special menu items will be available as well. Call 812-332-7552 for reservations.
- Chapman's Restaurant and Bar will offer a special Valentine's Day dinner for $65 per person. Entree options will include crab-stuffed lobster tail or cabernet filet mignon with roasted button mushrooms. Call 812-337-9999 for reservations.
There are tons of great events happening in Bloomington - some are specifically Valentine's Day related, others just fall into the right date range, and since we know not everyone can celebrate on the 14th, we've included several great date events happening between Feb. 13 and 16. Check out our online calendar for more details on these events, and others!
- The Player's Pub will celebrate early with an Almost Valentine performance with local favorites Monika Herzig and Tom Roznowski on Feb. 13 at 8 pm. Cover charge is only $5 per person.
- The Bluebird presents live music from Cults on Feb. 13 at 9 pm. Tickets are only $15 per person.
- The Bishop will host the Brown County Bible Band on Feb. 13 at 9:30 pm. Admission is only $5 per person.
- The Latin American Music Center presents its 5th Annual Latin Valentine concert, Estas en mi Corazon (You Belong to my Heart), at 8 pm on Feb. 13. The concert will take place on the IU campus in Auer Hall and admission is free.
- Rebecca Corry will be performing at The Comedy Attic at 8 pm on Feb. 13 and both 8 and 10 pm on Feb. 14 and 15. This veteran of Comedy Central, Last Comic Standing and King of Queens will have you laughing the night away.
- Cardinal Stage Company's production of The Whipping Man will be presented throughout the weekend, including a matinee performance on Sunday.
- Stop by the IU Cinema to see The Rocket. Screenings will be at 7 pm on Feb. 13 and 9:30 pm on Feb. 14. Admission is $6 for non-students.
- The Bloomington Playwrights Project production of Island Song will be presented throughout the weekend. Show time is 7:30 pm and admission is $20 per person ($17 for students/seniors).
- The IU Theatre and Drama Department will present their production of Woyzeck throughout the weekend. Show time is 7:30, with an additional Saturday matinee. Tickets are $25 per person ($20 seniors; $15 students).
- The Buskirk-Chumley Theatre will be screening the timeless film Casablanca on Feb. 14 at 7:30 pm. Tickets are only $5 for adults and $3 for kids 12 and under.
- The Player's Pub hosts Janiece and Curtis at 8 pm on Feb. 14. Admission is only $5 per person.
- The IU Cinema will present Underground Alice, featuring three "underground" adaptations of Alice in Wonderland, on Feb. 14 at 6:30 pm. The screening is free, but ticketed. Call 812-856-2463 for tickets.
- IU Opera will present the Tale of Lady Thi Kinh at 8 pm on Feb. 14 and 15 at the IU Musical Arts Center.
- The IU Women's Student Association will present a production of Eve Ensler's The Vagina Monologues on Feb. 14 and 15 at 7 pm, and Feb. 16 at 2 pm. The performance will be in Rawles Hall on the IU campus and admission is $8 ($5 students).
- Nate Johnson and The Keepers will perform at the Player's Pub on Feb. 15 at 8 pm. Admission is only $5.
- The IU Cinema will present a screening of the Purple Rose of Cairo, a Woody Allen film starring Mia Farrow, at 3 pm on Feb. 15. The screening is free, but ticketed. Call 812-856-2463 for tickets.
A number of local hotels are offering special winter rates, many of which are good for the Valentine's Day holiday. See our special offers page for a complete listing of these winter rates.
- The Fourwinds Resort and Marina is offering a romantic Valentine's Day Special that includes a luxurious garden view room, buffet breakfast, a rose and two glasses of champagne for only $99. Upgrade to a room with a lakeside view for only $20! Call 812-824-2628 for reservations
- The Indiana Memorial Union's Romantic Escape Package is available for the Valentine's Day holiday, including an overnight stay in the heart of IU's woodland campus, chocolate dipped strawberries, champagne and a $50 Downtown Bloomington gift certificate to use toward dinner. Call 812-855-1920 for reservations.
Don't just listen to us, though - we also recently polled some of our Facebook fans, looking for their recommendations for a can't miss Valentine's Day date and we've got to say, our fans have excellent taste! Here's what they recommended:
- BLUboy Chocolate Cafe & Cakery
- El Norteno
- Grazie! Italian Eatery
- Janko's Little Zagreb
- La Petite Cafe
- Malibu Grill
- Oliver Winery Downtown
- Restaurant Tallent
- The Rail
- Topos 403
- Uptown Cafe