Bloomington Boogies: The Bloomington Blues & Boogie Woogie Piano Festival
- Bloomington Blues and Boogie Woogie Piano Festival
- 8/11/2018, 8/12/2018, 8/13/2018
- Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center
- 122 S. Walnut Street, Bloomington, IN 47404
- (812) 334-0415
- 1:00 PM to 10:30 PM
- GA advance $20-$25, Students & seniors (62+) $18-$20, 12 & under $15
The 4th annual Bloomington Blues & Boogie Woogie Piano Festival is Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, Aug. 11 through 13, 2018, featuring blues and boogie woogie pianists from around the world. Public performances take place Aug. 11 and 12, and educational activities take place in schools on Aug. 13.
The festival includes the following:
• A festival kickoff and preview on WFHB’s “Saturday’s Child,” Aug. 11, 2018, 11 a.m., at the Monroe County History Center, broadcast on WFHB Community Radio and open to the public
• Ticketed performances in the Ivy Tech Waldron Arts Center Auditorium and free performances on the Arts Plaza, 122 S. Walnut St., on Sunday, Aug. 12. Music begins outside at 1 p.m. and continues in- and outside all day. Returning artists include Bob Seeley, C. J. Chenier, Rob Rio, “Uganda” Roberts, Liz Pennock & Dr. Blues, Ricky Nye, Cassidy Gephart and Craig Brenner. New artists include Judy Carmichael, Daryl Davis, Eden Brent, and more. Local pianists, a rhythm section and dancers will also perform. Ticket information is at https://bloomingtonboogies.com/tickets; tickets are available at the BCT Box Office beginning May 12, and include a discounted, all-day pass
• Food and beverages from La Poblano Taco Truck (Mexican) and Bloomington Brewing Company, available on the Arts Plaza on Aug. 12
• Bloomington Boogies After Hours at Malibu Grill on the Square, 106 N. Walnut St., with free performances Sunday, Aug. 12, from 8–10:30 p.m., hosted by Florida artists Liz Pennock & Dr. Blues
• A limited number of free tickets for students
• Concerts for students, faculty and staff at Fairview and Templeton Elementary Schools and Tri-North Middle School on Monday, Aug. 13
• Three Piano Workshops in schools on Aug. 13. A workshop on ragtime and stride piano for intermediate and advanced pianists will be presented by Judy Carmichael at Tri-North, and workshops for beginning and intermediate blues and boogie woogie pianists will be presented by Eden Brent and Cassidy Gephart at Fairview and Templeton Elementary Schools
Major Festival Sponsors are Visit Bloomington, Ivy Tech Community College, Carmin Parker P.C., Maple Grove Farms LP, Bloomington Urban Enterprise Association, and Mark Wiedenmayer. The festival received a 2018 Visit Bloomington Tourism Grant and a Bloomington Urban Enterprise Association Zone Arts Grant.
Festival Underwriters include Bloom Magazine, Classic Touch Limousine Service, Tim and Cheri DeBruicker, Becky Hrisomalos, Robert Kissel’s Foundation, Mother Bear’s Pizza, Stumpner’s Building Services, Inc., The Ryder, Travel Indiana Magazine, Trojan Horse Restaurant & Tavern, and The Uptown Café.
Additional Supporters include Bob Arnove, Dr. Steven I. Ball, Michele Brentano, Bill C. Brown Associates, David Carter, CFC Properties, Curry Auto Center, Dr. John Ellis, DDS, Fourwinds Lakeside Inn & Marina, Chris Gaal and Dr. Beth Florini, Ken Grooms and Zain Mackey, Val Haughton and Frank Motley, David Hummons, Jerry King, Julie Lawson, Malibu Grill on the Square, Ed Marshall, Melody Music Shop, David and Louise Michaelis, Albert Misan, Monroe County History Center, MPI Solar, Tanya Mitchell-Yeager, Oliver Winery, Le Petit Café, Phil and Linda Stafford, Larry Stahl, Rob Stone and Karen Green Stone, Story Insights, Strats Stratigos, Vance Music Center, Martha Wainscott, Marcy and Michael Wenzler, WFHB, WFIU, White Rabbit Copy & Digital Printing, Gary Wittlich, World Wide Automotive Service, Rod Young, and Charlotte Zietlow.
For information or to volunteer, visit https://bloomingtonboogies.com/ or email firstname.lastname@example.org.