Third Street Fountain

  • Third Street Park
  • Bloomington, IN 47408
Created by the Seward Foundry from cast iron, the Third Street Fountain originally sat on the grounds of Rose Hill Cemetery. The cemetery was probably started in 1818-1820 and was known simply as “Grave Yard”. While it eventually became the City Cemetery, the Ladies Cemetery Association assumed management in 1892, and changed the name to Rose Hill. The Association added a full-time sexton, built the new Spencer Addition, and commissioned this Fountain. The Fountain sat in what was called “Evergreen Arbor”, the circle of trees surrounding the fountain. It was moved to its current location in 1992 after repeated vandalism.