Tuesday, January 24, 2017
You don't have to have a significant other to have fun. We've already rounded up all things Valentine's Day but if you and your girls want more, come down to Bloomington for a weekend and have the ultimate Galentine's Weekend.
What is Galentine's Day?
Ladies celebrating ladies. Traditionally Galentine's Day is February 13th, but we think you should make a weekend out of it. We think Leslie would be down for that too.
From downtown hotels to quaint bed and breakfasts, there are a variety of accommodations in Bloomington; our hotel section is a great place to start when planning a Galentine's getaway.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Stay in the heart of campus at the historic Indiana Memorial Union Biddle Hotel
- Don't miss a beat by staying on the square at the Hyatt Place
- For a quaint bed and breakfast option check out the Grant Street Inn
Treat Yo Self
After you check in, get out and explore. Bloomington is known for its arts community; visit some of Bloomington's best galleries and boutiques to pick out something special for yourself.
- Gather: Handmade Shoppe & Co. - handmade jewelry, bath and body, illustrations, cards and more
- By Hand - features a wide variety of artworks from knitting, wood, glass, and painting
- The Venue - features original oil and acrylic works from local, regional, national and international artists
- Blond Genius Boutique & Denim Bar - they have the chicest collection of designer denim, fine jewelry, contemporary clothing lines.
Or maybe you need an afternoon sugar rush. In that case, head to Blu Boy Chocolate Cafe & Cakery for some handcrafted chocolates and coffee. If you're more of an ice cream fan, then head to Hartzell's for a banana split or a cone topped with all the scoops you can handle.
- Pizza - These are not your standard pies. King Dough serves up delicious wood-fired pizza and fresh salads every day. This is a lively casual spot with a great beer and wine selection too. Don't forget to try their homemade gelato!
- Small Plates: C3 is a swanky restaurant and bar that specializes in shareable plates. Order a smorgasbord of tasty appetizers so you can try a little bit of everything.
- Eclectic: Try Uptown Cafe for the farm to table variety. They are known for their Cajun fare and steaks but have a little bit of everything.
- Dance the night away at Serendipity Martini Bar for Salsa night.
- Head downstairs to The Root Cellar, Bloomington's speakeasy. for a fun nightcap
- Enjoy drinks and dessert at Cardinal Spirits. To celebrate Valentine's Day they're offering a dessert duo & cocktail pairing February 9-14.
If you're in the mood for something different:
- Cardinal Stage Presents Sex with Strangers (Fe: A reserved, mid-career novelist and a rakish young blogger hit it off in this sizzling comic drama about desire, love, and literary stardom in the digital age.
- After Dark at Wonderlab: Chocolate (February 17) - Chocolate is not just a delicious treat, it is also a historically and culturally significant commodity. WonderLab’s After Dark: Chocolate is a 21 and over event that discusses the history and science of chocolate.
Then call it a night because you don't want to miss Sunday brunch.
There are a handful of places for breakfast in Btown but here are a few ideas to send you off full and happy.
- On the higher end: Feast Bakery & Cafe has upped the brunch game in Bloomington in a major way. Seasonal ingredients and unique flavor combinations like kimchi crab cake bennie with lemongrass hollandaise have an upscale vibe, but the atmosphere is cozy and casual. Slide into a booth, order a unique coffee drink (I'm loving the Cafe Cubano right now), and start with the biscuits.They're huge and come with delicious accouterments like whipped honey butter and house-made preserves. You can't go wrong as far as main dishes go but the croque madame is a solid choice. Feast is a small neighborhood restaurant so you will likely have to wait for a table. But fear not, you can order coffees at the counter to keep warm while you wait.
- Something unique: Le Petit Cafe has been serving up hearty, unpretentious French fare for years. On Sundays, they offer a multi-course brunch for $12 featuring tasty things like cheese puffs, berry crumble, crepes, and more. Hard to beat that.
- Casual: Maybe you need a little hair of the dog, or you'd prefer going to brunch in your yoga pants. Head to Lennie's for a beermosa and chicken and waffles.
If you want to plan a Galentine's Trip over actual Valentine's Day, check out our blog post about special Valentine's Day events, menus, and more.
Plan Your Trip
Hotels in Bloomington
Hotels in Bloomington
Whatever type of accommodations you’re looking for, we’ve got you covered
There's always something happening in Bloomington. Check out our comprehensive event calendar to plan your trip.